Monday, April 28, 2014

A Quick Mindy Update

There's a lot going on in this farm girl's life, let me tell you.

In case you didn't hear, NOT A DROP TO DRINK has been optioned for film to Stephenie Meyer's (TWILIGHT) film production company, Fickle Fish Films. Fickle Fish has produced the Breaking Dawn movies, The Host, and Austenland. They have also acquired the rights to other YA novels including Lois Duncan's DOWN A DARK HALL and Kendare Blake's ANNA DRESSED IN BLOOD. Needless to say, I'm thrilled to be working with such a talented group of women, and am flattered to be keeping company with such great authors as we take the next step.

So that's a pretty big deal, and I'm thrilled. But paper continues to rule my world and I've got some updates coming for you on that end as well.

The paperback of NOT A DROP TO DRINK will be released on August 26, and it will have some awesome bonus content that you'll be pleased with, I think. It will also help whet your appetite (so to speak) for the companion novel, IN A HANDFUL OF DUST, which releases September 23. DUST takes place ten years after the events in DRINK, and follows both Lucy and Lynn on a journey through this horribly perilous world I've forced them to live in.

Sorry about that, guys. But I know you're tough.

In the meantime, last time I checked there were only 5 copies of the hardcover of DRINK left on Amazon. Yep, only five. So you might want to grab yours, if you still haven't. Or, if you're anxious to meet me in person and have me sign your book, you can always check out my appearance schedule. I've got a lot of stops coming up this summer and fall. But hey, we can't all be in the same place at the same time (that gets ugly). If you want a signed copy of DRINK but can't get anywhere I plan on being anytime soon, you can always order through Fundamentals, my local indie bookstore. They're happy to take your order, and I'm happy to pop in there and sign.

In the meantime, I'm hard at work on the WIP - a YA title that will be coming from Katherine Tegen Books in 2015. It's not related to DRINK or DUST. In fact, it's something entirely different. And I think you'll like it.

What else is going on?

Hmm.... I've got a squirrel in my yard. This is the first time one has ventured to live this close to the house. He's a handsome boy with a big fluffy tail and I've made a vow to not kill and eat him.

That's about it! And now I've got to go inventory a library. The physical world needs me.

8 comments:

Laurence King said...

This is so very exciting, Mindy! Very happy for you:)

Anthony Carrola said...

I'm guessing that you usually eat squirrels?

Eliza said...

Yay for Fickle Fish Films! I hate it when big companies say they'll make a book into a movie and it never happens. FFF is smaller and they actually get things done.

Suzi said...

Awesome news. Congratulations!

Mindy McGinnis said...

Thank you everyone!

And yes, Warrior -- are you not supposed to eat them?

Anthony Carrola said...

Not at all. For some reason, I didn't think you'd eat squirrels, since you're an animal person and all. ;)

Frank Verdun said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Frank Verdun said...

I'm not surprised in the least that film options were bought up for Not A Drop, and I knew it wouldn't take very long after the book was released. As I read it I kept thinking about how well the novel would lend itself cinematically, full of long quiet scenes heavy with tension but sparse with dialogue, punctuated by riflefire, log splitting and animal calls. It will make an excellent film and a relief to sit through an apocalyptic story that isn't a barrage on the senses with a relentless wall of noise. Whispers with an occasional bang.